Private guide in Maramures, guided tours in Maramures, Romania
Currency: Leu (RON)
Information about Maramures
The Maramures area of northern Romania is surrounded by the Carpathian mountains, and extends into western Ukraine. About 550,000 people live in villages throughout the Maramures valley, where many of the centuries old traditions and culture of their Dacian ancestors are still in practice. The main climate feature of Maramures is heavy precipitation, with rainy summers and snowy winters.
The forested region is known for woodcraft, with many beautiful carved wooden gates and entryways on houses in the area. The area is also known for an abundance of wooden churches with tall spires and more woodcarvings. Visitors enjoy sights such as the Merry Cemetery in Sapanta, and the 16th century Reform church in Sighetu Marmatiei. There’s also an interesting outdoor village museum in Sighetu Marmatiei.
Other interesting experiences including taking a scenic journey on the steam train that begins in the Viseu de Sus logging town and exploring caves and waterfalls of Creasta Cocosului.
Popular tours in Maramures
Culture and History tour in MaramuresMaramures - Art, tradition, history
Culture and History tour in MaramuresMaramures - One day tour
From €45Tour Duration
Culture and History tour in MaramuresTailor made tour
- wooden church - UNESCO monument, Maramures, Budesti, Marmures
- Memorial Museum of the victims of communism and of the resistance, Maramures, Sighetu Marmatiei
- Mocanita - The Steam train, Maramures, Vasser Valey
- Barsana Monasery, Maramures
- wooden Church from Ieud, Maramures
- A cross in Merry Cemetery, Maramures
- village museum, Maramures
- Maramures Gate, Maramures